7.11 Additional BIM Uses
VA is interested in fostering and supporting innovation, and encourages bold steps toward trying new ways to improve business process efficiency, design, and project outcomes. VA does not wish to unduly hamper creative ideas and is interested in proposals to achieve these goals.
Following are some of the discretionary areas that VA supports for further development and the use of BIM; other ideas may also be proposed by the AEC teams:
- Evaluating physical security and survivability
- Early MEP design
- 3D – Virtual functionality viewing and testing of the design
- 5D – Material take-offs and cost estimating
- Creating a interactive virtual workspace for the Design Team to achieve integrated design goals
- Integrating information, e.g., electronic specifications that are tied to the BIM
- Achieving automated code checking
- Repeatable modular construction components to speed construction erection time
- Modular construction & off-site fabrication.