VA-SEPS Net to Gross Sq Ft Conversion
TIL Feedback - we welcome your suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Two primary goals of a space program or Program for Design:
- A list of space, including the floor area of each space,
- The total project square feet of a future construction project for application of cost data towards projecting a project construction budget.
There are two methods to arrive at the total projected square feet for application of cost data towards projecting a project construction budget. Definitions.
- One-step method - Net Square Feet to Building Gross Square Feet
- Defines project areas, and helps identify efficiencies in terms of construction type renovation/addition/new footprint/mechanical space/shell space/space without walls (“half” spaces).
- Currently the DoD side of SEPS calculates Building Gross Square Feet using this method.
- Two-step method - Departmental Net Square Feet to Departmental Gross Square Feet to Building Gross Square Feet
- Define project areas and help identify efficiencies in terms of functional characteristic, relationships and adjacencies, and floor plan design.
- With version 2.0 VA-SEPS has been configured to calculate DGSF and BGSF with the two-step method.
One-step method - Net Square Feet to (NSF) Building Gross Square Feet. Currently VA-SEPS calculates (BGSF) using this method.
- NSF x building conversion factor = BGSF
- Applies total project conversion factor to each room/space
- Define areas, and identify efficiencies in terms of construction type
- renovation/addition/new footprint/shell space/space without walls (“half” spaces)
- The SEPS user must adjust the net to gross conversion factor in the SEPS program to suit the construction type.
Two-step method - Departmental Net Square (DNSF) Feet to Department Gross Square Feet (DGSF) to Building Gross Square Feet (BGSF)
- Define project in terms of functional characteristics, relationships and adjacencies, and identify efficiencies in terms of floor plan design.
- DNSF x dept. conversion factor = DGSF x building conversion factor 1.35* = BGSF Convert DNSF to DGSF then convert the sum of all DGSF to the Building/project gross square feet BGSF.
- DNTG conversion factors are stipulated in each VA Space Planning Criteria Chapter and are automatically calculated in VA-SEPS. To view DGSF factors Download functional Excel spreadsheet for Departmental Net to Departmental Gross to Building Gross Square Feet calculation
- * BGSF conversion factor defaults to 1.35 and is adjustable to achieve total BGSF within facility type guidelines. Download Building Net Gross Ratios by Facility Type
Net square feet (NSF) is the floor area between the walls of a room or defined space.
Department Gross Square Feet (DGSF) is the floor area within the boundaries of a functional department as define by a space planning criteria chapter, including floor area occupied by rooms/spaces, walls defining the spaces, and circulation corridors connecting the different rooms of the department.
Building Gross Square Feet (BGSF) is the floor area of the entire building or project, which includes floor area occupied by rooms/spaces, walls (interior and exterior), corridors, conveyances, mechanical/utility rooms, and shafts.